Pages

Monday, September 28, 2009

Those little mysteries

A friend once gave me a book about a family who had a boy or two, (I can't remember), who solved their family's daily mysteries. For example, where is Dad's missing watch or what animal made those mysterious prints in the front yard. Mysteries like that.

It's funny really how many mysteries happen in each family. Where did my good shoes go? Where did Mom go? What are we having for dinner? Who ate that last piece of pizza? We have these mysteries all the time.

BUT ONE DAY WE WENT A STEP FARTHER! WE HAD A REAL MYSTERY! Watch this video. What are those black specks? Those would be swallows.

One Saturday we were all doing our chores, Lucas was doing the lawn and I was cleaning the bathrooms, Dad was messing around outside, and I don't know what everyone else was doing. I went outside to get the mail when I was astounded by what I saw. Birds dive bombing Lucas on the mower! He didn't seem to realize so I tried to get his attention. He was zoned out and didn't seem to understand me. I looked for Dad and showed him. He said, "Yeah, they're dive bombing him." So then thoughts went through my mind like maybe their baby was in the grass and they were trying to frighten Lucas away. Maybe they had a nest. Did swallows have nests in the ground, anyways? (See, those questions begin the mystery.)

I taped a video of the birds and we talked throughout the morning about this odd happening. It had never happened before.

Google is great at solving mysteries. Mom got on the internet and looked up swallows to see where they have nests. But in the end she was more interested in the actions of swallows. Because you see, swallows follow big tractors, mowers, and others and swoop down in front and behind to catch the bugs that the machines scare out of hiding.

That's what those birds were doing. Having lunch. Mystery solved.

And, by the way, we've had no more strange swallow dive bombs since that day. ANOTHER MYSTERY!

No comments: